Friday 2 March 2012

Yeast & Cloth Diapers

Yeast is definitely not a fun thing to deal with when it comes to cloth diapers. My daughter currently has yeast and after only one application of the medicated cream from the doctor her blistered butt was a million times better. Unfortunately I can't say the same about my diapers.

Yeast can continue to grow in cloth diapers which is why you should do a full strip of them....this doesn't mean using RLR or Original Blue Dawn. It means vinegar and Tea Tree Oil (TTO). Many claim the Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) works as well!

This is what I have done:
1) grabbed every diaper, wipe, anything that touched her bum
2) throw everything in the washer with 1/2 cup Vinegar and approx. 20 drops of TTO.
3) Soak for about 30 mins.
4) Rinse & Rinse
5) I took the opportunity to also RLR my diapers since I already had them all pulled. I threw the RLR in the washer on top of the diapers. Turned the washer on my full regular wash with my CD Detergent.
6) Rinse & Rinse & Rinse

Now I have so many diapers and wipes, etc that I couldn't remember which diapers my daughter had used so I put everything in and treated it all in 2 separate loads.

On many websites it will tell you to use bleach to treat yeast. I don't like the idea of bleach personally because in a lot of cases it will void the warranty of your diapers, in others the manufacturers will recommend it. Bleach is very controversial when it comes to cloth diapers so I generally try to avoid it.

No comments:

Post a Comment